Darling Clementine

As I’m sure most of you know, I love fresh fruit, and I rarely go a day without getting in a full three servings of it. During the winter though, it’s slim pickings when it comes to available fresh fruit. Unlike during the spring and summer when there’s a plethora of fruit available, winter fruit is limited mainly to apples and citrus fruit. As much as I love my apples (Gala and Braeburn are my faves), clementines are my favorite winter fruit.

clementinesclementines

Unlike oranges, which can be difficult to peel, and tangerines, which often have seeds, clementines are easy to peel, seedless, and just plain easy to eat. They are also sweet and juicy, and full of health benefits.

Clementines are full of the antioxidants vitamins A and C, folate, fiber, and potassium. Clementines have been shown to help with vision and maintaining healthy, beautiful skin (due to the antioxidants). Researchers have also found that the scent of clementines triggers the release of the neurotransmitter serotonin, which regulates mood.

Clementines are also really low in calories. Each clementine has 35 calories, 9 g carbohydrate, 1.5 g fiber, 0 g fat, 1 g protein. Because they are so small, a fruit serving is 2 clementines, so make sure you grab two (like I have on my plate in the photo above) for a filling snack. They are in season from November through March, so go get your bag or crate of clementines before it’s too late!!

20 Responses to Darling Clementine

1. Caren says:

My whole family is enjoying clementines this season. I found that by leaving them in a bowl on the counter, they are more accessible for everyone. My kids see them out and have been reaching for them as an afternoon snack.

• nutritioulicious says:

That’s so great! Clementines are a great snack for kids – it’s great to leave fresh fruit in kid’s reach throughout the year!

2. Now you’re making me hungry! I love clementines,too. I love name “Clementines.” I haven’t seen them at the grocery yet, but I know they are coming. We get them in middle Tennnessee around my birthday, which also coincides with the Chinese New Year.

Susan

• nutritioulicious says:

Hi Susan, happy early birthday! We’ve been getting clementines in NY for a while now. Enjoy them when they come!

3. Rachel says:

I love these guys, and I had no idea about the affect on mood. Awesome! I just found out that Massachusetts’ local winter fruit is limited to apples and cranberries. Oh no! ; )

• nutritioulicious says:

Oh no! As much as I favor local fruit, most clementines don’t come from the farms, so look for them in your supermarket – sometimes you can get a good deal on them. I hope you find them! Hope you had fun in NY!

4. Julie says:

I adore Clementines and always have some in my fruit bowl during the Winter. I’m fortunate to have several Clementine growers within an easy radius of my house….so most of the time, I get them just off the tree! Left on his own, I think my 4 year old would eat his weights worth in one sitting.

• nutritioulicious says:

I love hearing about kids eating fruit on their own!! And lucky you that you can get them straight from the growers!

5. nutrition to kitchen says:

Love clementines as well. They’re so portable and easy to peel. I usually throw a couple in to my lunch bag before I go to work :)

6. Love the title of the post, and clementines.

But– don’t forget about kiwi, pineapple, banana, pears. They are all still available fresh at my market.

7. Clementines are my FAVORITE!

8. Linda says:

Bought a box of clememtines and I thought they were seedless. Had some with seeds in them.

• Jessica says:

Usually they are seedless, but occasionally they have seeds. I’m not an expert in that, so I can’t tell you why!

9. Jackie says:

I had recent back surgery and have little or no appetite. Clementines are the exception. I eat them throughout the day. Good to heR about all the health benefits from them.

• Jessica says:

Sorry to hear about your surgery and lack of appetite. I’m glad you can enjoy clementines!! Feel better soon!

10. Paul says:

Clementines lift your mood in the winter.

11. Eric says:

Will we get fruit flies if we leave our clementines out of the refrigerator?

• Jessica says:

Hi Eric,
      If you live in a cool climate you shouldn’t have a problem with fruit flies. If it’s hot where you live then keep them in a basement or in the coolest part of your refrigerator. Enjoy!

12. Mary Ann Calvaneso says:

The bag of darling clementines I bought said to wash before eating. Do you wash them after you peel them, or do you wash the whole fruit peel and all. I am doing both presently to be sure. thanks

• Jessica says:

Hi Mary Ann,
      I haven’t seen that on the clementines I buy, but that note would be referring to washing the whole fruit with the peel. I wash fruit with a peel or inedible skin before I peel or cut into them because there can be bacteria on the outside that can get into the fruit and/or vegetables when the skin is broken. Hope that helps! Enjoy those darlings!!